View Single Post
Old
11-05-2003, 01:37 PM
tk421

vCash: 500
Quote:
Daigle's playmaking and shot can be matched by other Wild players. His speed is not unique either.
I disagree, shot and speed can be matched yes, but his playmaking ability is probably one the best on the team. He is probably the second or third best passer on the team, and I've seen many teams respect his speed and playmaking ability by backing off and not aggressively forechecking like they would a Park or Bouchard.
Quote:
Yet his weaknesses (size/strength)
He is 6'0" 203 pounds. I don't think he has a size issue. I've seen him fight through several crowds near the boards to gain control of the puck.

He may not be blazing up the point sheet, but I've seen improvements in his game. He is on the team for his offensive potential which could put him as the #2 best offensive player if he meets that potential. If he doesn't then the point is moot. You need balance on a team. Right now Daigle has more he has to show, but I still think he has shown good improvement.
I predicted he would have 20 goals and 25-30 assists. For a guy making $500,000 that's not bad. We are stocked with defensive guys who only chip in only a handful of goals a year. Isn't it worth the gamble to have a guy on the team who could produce 20-30 goals in a year, but may need to be teamed up with better defensive players.
I would have traded a pure goal scorer in last years Western Conference Finals for all the Antti Laaksonens, Jim Dowds, and Richard Parks in the world. Our defensive players couldn't score when they needed to.