View Single Post
Old
11-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Kodiak

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Those closer than what you could get for Poti in a trade compared to Bouchard.
There is still a big difference between a 35 pt d-man and a 45 pt d-man. It's like being either a top 30 d-man or a top 10 d-man in terms of production.

Also, you're comparing ~35 games of Bouchard vs ~100 games of Poti. With Poti, I believe that 100 games is adequate to judge what we get out of him should his level of play remain exactly the same (I am of the opinion that Poti has untapped upside, but that's neither here nor there right now). 35 games, OTOH, is not an adequate sample size. You cannot take such a small chunk of time and say "This is what we can expect of him in terms of production." You are looking at a player whose professional career spans 11 years and 586 games in 3 professional leagues, and then making a judgement based on ~6% of his career.

I was a big fan of Bouchard last year, and I still am this year. I was all for signing him in the offseason over someone like Mironov. But, in all honesty, there is no way that Joel Bouchard will put up 35 points in an NHL season. Poti already has put up a 45 pt season.