View Single Post
Old
12-31-2011, 01:41 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
USA disappoints too much in the wjc, its maddening. They should have beaten finland and Czech, no excuses. Tbh I really didn't like this lineup either, poorly constructed. Sucks that Bjugstad never really got back into his groove in this tourney, just coming off an upper body injury. He didn't look like himself. The US was counting heavily on production from him. Rau probably exceeded expectations though. Rooting for Hubey and Howden now.
Rau exceeded expecations in that he made the team. Otherwise he was rather meaningless. I didn't see the Denmark game (although, assessing anything from Denmark is rather redundant) but he was rather useless against Finland and The Czech Republic. Gudbranson4prez said he was to have a Jordan Eberle type performance. Well, you could argue he was correct. Eberle wasn't eligible, and didn't have an impact. Niether did Rau.

Of course the US was percieved as a strong contender for a medal this year, but the defeat to Finland isn't that shocking. Finland has a talented team and the score against Canada in no way resembles the actual talent they have. The Czech defeat was suprising, but when you run into a hot goaltender, clinical finishing and lack any real creativity then anything is possible.

The US to me just looked weak. Alot of shots, but i felt few were high calibre opportunities, or rather, few were bourne out of creativity and high end ability. Both Sweden and Russia have sleepwalked through the event so far, but seemed to display more flare and gamebreaking ability than the US. Etem, Saad, Bjugstad were all rather inept ; all the supposed high end guys.

Anyway, it's good for international hockey that this can happen. The Czechs still aren't really close to turning the development system around, its still years away, but it's good to see some development.

I would be prepared to have eat Cauliflower and learn how to iron if it meant Canada doesn't win Gold.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote