View Single Post
Old
12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Honestly, not 100% sure. In my building, we had a guy with a dish (directtv) and the co-op board had been after him to take it down. His argument was it was sitting on his airconditioner and not attached to the building, but he lost in the end. I remember reading last year about the city passing a law prohibiting buildings to enter exclusive agreements with providers. They can offer discounts, but can't prohibit residents from choosing a different provider. I'll have to email the lawyer who gave me that info. She is a friend of my wife, and gave me the info over tailgating, so I'll need a more detailed explanation.
Was the AC unit in/above his private balcony? Otherwise you are generally not even permitted to have your AC unit extend beyond the building facade. Or perhaps you live in a landmarked building? I know that historic sites are exempt from this law. Also, if the installation poses a safety hazard the law does not apply either. If it were installed (even in an area one's exclusive control) in such a way that a strong gust of wind could knock it onto property/people below it would also be forbidden.

Yes, new contracts with buildings are non-exclusive. I just installed FiOS in several of my buildings where TWC and even RCN already provide service.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote