Thread: Prospect Info: Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)
View Single Post
12-31-2011, 02:43 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It's not a good example.

Cowen's size and skating ability is the main reason he was a highly touted prospect. When 6'5 220 pound 17-18 year olds skate like Cowen did at that age....they become can't miss prospects. If they have a solid level of hockey IQ they have the potential to be more than that.
I was at Cowen's first development camp shortly after his knee surgery & I remember being very impressed with his skating. Although he seemed to have a little trouble pivoting it was really his only weakness & he has quickly improved in this area as well. Knee surgery will do that, twisting becomes difficult & painful but he seems to be fully recovered from it now. IMO skating is the least of our worries with Cowen he is turning into a very good two way defenceman who can do a lot of things well, including drop them if he has to.

Originally Posted by otown View Post
Maclean is looking for guys who play a 200 foot game. Not taking anything away from Stone's scoring abilities as I have mentioned but he really labours going back and covering in a defensive role. I have visions of Chechoo when I see him skate and we all know what happened to him.
I don't think it has to do so much with his skating as his stamina although we all know he is working on his skating. He is usually the first guy on his line to get off the ice & doesn't seem to last a full shift. It could be because his role is to stand in front of the net so maybe he doesn't get enough skating in but IMO he needs to work on his cardio & lasting longer out there.

I think his first pro season they will work on this & get him into better shape. I would also imagine that once in Ottawa Tony Grego will get a hold of him & also get him into better shape. It could be the reason he starts next season in Bingo along with the fact that Ottawa has about 5 or 6 guys who could be ahead of him on RW, 4 of them on one way contracts.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote