View Single Post
Old
01-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
While DD is not the best in the D zone it's more of a positioning problem than lost battles. I don't remember many goals that were caused by an opponent who stripped the puck from him. What I noticed is that he's sometimes late to cover his man in the slot. That can be improved. He's way more physically punished in the offensive zone than in the D zone....yet he's still producing in ES situations (second on the team with 18 ES pts behind MaxPac who has 21 ES pts)
\
DD seems to position himself poorly in the defensive zone on a fairly regular basis. He is often a few feet away from his defensive responsibility-he cheats toward the blue line.

I believe this is a function of how he's played his entire career. He's always been a top point producer and has scored a ton of points on quick transitions. At this level, his speed is not such that he's going to be able to generate as many transition points, but his instincts are still telling him to "cheat" a bit. Unfortunately, when he does this, he gives his defensive responsibility a positioning edge from which he can't often recover. He needs to accept the fact that he isn't going to generate very many points in quick transition in the NHL and he will cost his team too many goals against unless he makes the appropriate defensive positioning adjustment.

I'm sure that DD and the coaching staff are very aware of this and that he will show improvement in these defensive deficiencies in the near future.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 01-01-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote