View Single Post
Old
01-01-2012, 02:50 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Staal's career high is 49 points, which is what he's on pace for now. 70 >> 49. Plekanec is just better offensively. Staal has been getting PP time with or without Crosby and Malkin in the lineup. It is significant. If Jordan Staal was our number one instead of Plek we'd be where Columbus is.
Staal is also much younger. I'm not sure how you compare that. You actually feel as if Jordan Staal in a first line role wouldn't surpass Plekanec? Maybe not out of the gate, but if you give him time to adjust, yes. Staal's goal total as an 18 year old is tied with Plekanec's career high. I'm not trying to say Staal is significantly better than plekanec. The exact opposite, the line of that post, although not really having plekanec as the focus is saying pittsburg would likely take staal over plekanec if they had to choose one for 3rd line role. So plekanec wouldn't make 'top 3 centers' on that team. On a first line offensive role? Plekanec has more experience.

In the 8 games Malkin AND Crosby were out Staal had 7 points in 8 GP.

Maybe Plekanec is better, I won't argue something debatable, but plekanec being significantly better? That's not true at all. If PG calls up Shero and says Plekanec for Staal, one on one, Shero barely thinks about it. Looking at stats to determine how good Staal is would be wrong. Our very own Bob Gainey had 501 Pts in 1160 GP. You know where he is? HHOF, retired number in montreal ahead of talented players who had better offensive careers. Don't let the numbers fool you, if Staal were let free he's a 35-40 goal 70 point two-way center. Basically Jeff Carter with better defensive awareness.

Also, what staal's on pace for over 82 GP is 52 points, and not sure where you get 70 for plekanec as he's on pace for 62.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote