View Single Post
Old
11-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
man this guy is playing great for the canucks, defiantely what cloutier needed, undefeated right now, good trade by the pens though as it made room for fleury who is no slotch!

to bad the avs didn' get this guy to be their backup this year, as he would provide some stability and push abby to play better, oh well great move by burke.
Yeah, I'd say that this is a good deal for both sides.

As you pointed out, it cleared up space on the roster for Marc-Andre Fleury, who is amazingly one of the best young goalies in the NHL at the tender age of 18 even though he has a porous defense and very little scoring support. This kid is amazing, and the Pens were wise to make room for him (although it sure looked like a gamble at the time) and got a second round pick for him. Nothing to whine about.

And the Canucks got exactly what they needed - a reliable backup goaltender to push Cloutier and could win games for the team both when starting and also in relief (unlike backups of the past). And at the cost of a second round pick, I'd say it's looking to be worth it to get Hedberg. Our goaltending has been superb. I know that a lot can change, but the early impression is good.

I think the Avs will be fine without Hedberg. Both Aebischer and Sauve are good young goaltenders with impressive upside, IMO. Sure both have a lot to prove, but does it matter that much that the Avs have rock solid goaltending? Not really, IMO. Once the Avs begin to develop some chemistry (they've added a lot of new faces in the off-season) they should become a force to be reckoned with. It's just a matter of getting things rolling and getting some confidence and so on and so forth.