Thread: TSN: Dreger's Mailbag
View Single Post
Old
01-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Dreger's Mailbag

Missed this one before Xmas, but Dreger answered an Islander-related question in his mailbag. Nothing crazy in the answer, but I thought it was interesting to see the Doug Weight prediction. Not a surprise to most around here, but still the first time I've seen a respected insider comment on the situation.

Quote:
Hi Darren,

The other day, Garth Snow stated that the 'playoff push starts now.' What is it going to take for Snow to realize he needs to improve this team (especially on defence) to even have a remote chance of playoffs this year or in the next few years? What have you heard about any changes Snow may make or is looking into?

Michael Rotondo
Vaughan, Ontario

A: Michael, Garth Snow and the New York Islanders need consistancy...at all levels. On paper, the Isles look like a decent team. Early in the season their defence was getting the job done, as was goaltending, but the young forward corps struggled to put the puck in the net. We've seen the Islanders make late season charges and claw back to respectability and I suspect that will be the case again this season. However, it appears too much damage has already been done for New York to do anything but start selling hope for next season. Snow has the assets to attract trades, but he may elect to be patient...allow this young team to grow together before assessing where his most glaring needs are in the offseason. I predict Doug Weight will take on a bigger role, as he seems to enjoy his time on the bench and clearly has a good connection with New York's young talent.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote