View Single Post
Old
01-03-2012, 07:15 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I never said Howson was good at resigns or signing players, I said he is good at making trades, he always get something of value in trades. The Klesla trade was about dumping that bad contract so that we could upgrade in the offseason.
So, you're saying that after he screws up and dramatically reduces the value of his players, he can get a little more than their distressed value.

That's like defending a person who crashes a new car and then sells it for slightly more than salvage value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
First paragraph: Doesn't matter what we are paying Wiz as far as my comment was concerned. Like I said above, I didn't say Howson is good at signing or resigning players, he's actually pretty damn terrible at identifying the correct people and signing them to the correct contract amount. This is all proven by the fact that he has overpaid decently for the services of Nash, Umberger, Tyutin, Brassard, Methot, Mason, Wiznewski, Commodore, almost Redden, and Huselius. Howson is terrible at identifying who should be the core guys and how much they should make, he has proven that by this seasons showing.
So you want him making trades for the wrong people? Hey, maybe he can trade Johansen for Souray and a 2nd!

Quote:
second paragraph: Howson did get good value for Klesla. He got a winger who provided solid secondary scoring and a bottom pairing defender all to help with the playoff push. The best thing he got out of that trade was an out on the bad extension he signed Klesla to in the first place, so that trade was definitely a win trade, now would I rather have Klesla on this teams 2nd pairing than Clitsome? Sure, but not at 3 million just like I don't think anybody liked Methot getting signed to a 3 million extension. He didn't piss away an asset, he got rid of a liability.
Actually, he turned an asset into a liability, then got rid of it. Brilliant!!!

Quote:
third paragraph: Hejda was a cornerstone of our tough to play against defense, but he also regressed significantly after he was injured to the point where he looked horrible on the ice often. Klesla wasn't a cornerstone on defense at all, in fact he was constantly injured, he did have a 4 good playoff games though, but other than that, he was still the same defender who couldn't make a good decision with the puck and Hejda was well past his prime, not only that, but our defense hasn't been good at all except for 2009, I don't know where you got the idea that the D was good, but our defense has given up at least a 3.0 GPG average every year since the playoff season.
And now it gives up more.
Quote:
The rest: Howson overpays in free agency and keeping his own players. I'm not sure why that is in the case of retaining his own guys, but the free agent market is more because the market demands the price (although I question the market demand for Wiz, Commodore, and Huselius at the price we got them). He has yet to make a bad trade or one that he overpaid in, but if you can show me one that he did other than the Klesla trade that I Just don't agree with, then by all means let me know.

OK- here are two:

Glencross for Tarnstrom
Chimera for Clark and Jurcina

and for a bonus!

Jurcina back to Washington for NOTHING!

Quote:
Can't believe I'm defending this guy, I need to take a shower now.