View Single Post
Old
01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Here's my take on Hemsky. He's not ideal because he's injury-prone and we've become ditto the last two seasons. BUT, he adds a serious amount of skill to this team. Will Bylsma use him properly? Will he go the Sykora-Sullivan route under Bylsma? Perhaps. But Hemsky's younger than both and still well in his prime. Plus, he is a puck-carrier who creates offense...something only two forwards on this team can do regularly (and 1 is concussed). Also, I think Hemsky could give the PP a real boost, as well.

What do we give up? Clearly, Edm wants defensemen. If we know Crosby's not coming back, we could afford Hemsky no matter the price in return. However, if Crosby's coming back, we need to dump salary in this deal.

I'd like a Hemsky-Martin deal, with Edmonton also giving us something else to off-set the fact our guy is signed long term and their guy's a UFA. If Martin refuses to waive his NTC, then maybe we'd have to look at moving Niskanen here. Or Orpik. Not crazy about either of those scenarios, to be honest. And financially, we'd have trouble fitting everybody in if the swap centered around Hemsky and Niskanen, I think.

Anyways, I'd be pretty upset if we gave up futures (i.e. Despres, Bennett, Tangradi, Bortuzzo) in a deal for a UFA winger. So my best guess is we'll kick the tires on Hemsky on July 1, but he'll likely wind up somewhere else before the trade deadline.