View Single Post
Old
01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
A 30 goals scorer with 60+ pts isn't worth 7.8 Million a year.

He's been paid as a franchise cornerstone, which he could be, but who would you rather? 30 goals and 67 pts from Nash or 30 goals, great defense, and 80 pts from Kopitar? Or heck... 70pts and nearly 3 Million less from Richards?

Nash was suppose to be the next great Power Forward. Iginla or LeClair reincarnated. His problem isn't talent. His problem is the Blue Jackets. He's been the only player on that team since he was 18 years old that anyone cared about. That means he's been taking a battering. I think the combination of phyiscal play and the meaningless of the games he plays is turning a guy who should be one of the best players in the league into "just" a 60pt player on a bad team.

I feel for the guy. I think it's a hard thing to want to be better and put in the time to push to the next level when you know no matter what you do individually the season is already over in January. 40 more meaningless games....

Columbus is where talent goes to die.
How many 30-40 goal scorers do you think exist? Especially with the skillset of Nash... Right now there are only 32 players in the entire league at a pace of 30 or more goals on the season, and only 5 of those players are on pace of 40. Obviously less than that is going to actually achieve either of those plateaus by season's end. Out of those players less than 10 have the comparable skill of Nash. Players of this caliber are few and far between. It is the same argument we were faced with with Kovalchuk.

Richards would be paid more if he didn't take the home discount for Philly and of course I would want Kopitar more, but it isn't a choice. If we acquire Nash, we aren't forced to get rid of Kopitar, Doughty, or some other nonsense. First of all, if we got him at the deadline, he would be pro-rated. Also, next season we are sitting pretty money wise. Here is our roster next season as it stands including Nash (assuming we don't give up signed roster players for him, which we probably will, but that only makes the financial situation better):

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Simon Gagne ($3.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.725m)
Prospect/UFA / Brad Richardson ($1.175m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Alec Martinez ($0.737m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,914,642; BONUSES: $342,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,385,358

Plenty of cap space to improve the roster, re-sign Mitchell, Quick, look for bottom 6 talent and do whatever it is you need to do...

Bottom line, you argued just what I am arguing. Columbus is pulling him down. I don't expect him to be a 50 goal Kovalchuk, but he should be a dominant 30+ goal player on this even this team. He is without a doubt one of the best power forwards in the game and he guarantees goals and buries his chances. That is exactly the kind of player we have been talking about. It is the same with a Kovalchuk, Parise, Gaborik, etc... We need a difference maker that guarantees goals. We need to fill that void that has been empty since Palffy left this team... It's the last major thing we have left on our list. After that, the only complaint is finding solid bottom 6 talent, which shouldn't be a problem at all with our assets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
To me, Richards just doesn't look comfortable out there on wing. I think he prefers controlling the play. But, I'm liking the four lines and the style and intensity of attack under Sutter. So, sure, let him stay out there at least until Gagne comes back.
Agreed. He is a natural center. Hopefully this experiment is short lived. He is a great player and I am sure the top line will still excel like they did last night, but he doesn't belong there and it puts too much of our high end talent all on one line for the opponent to focus on.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter