View Single Post
Old
01-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Isles Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
So your argument is that, in stats that are heavily team driven, he didn't place well? I think at this point there are plenty of guys on this board who just hate DiPietro, and are trying to find new ways to justify that. I've watched this game for quite a while, and if you watched that year, you would know that he was VERY good, particularly when he carried this team in the second half of the season (when he posted a .925 save%, which would be tops in the league). Here's another fun stat that doesn't show up without some looking: he was fourth in the league in Saves per 60 minutes; 1st if you limit it to guys in the league who were their teams clear-cut starters.

He was also (apart from a disastrous first start or two of the year) looking very good the next season, until his injury at the ASG absolutely destroyed his stats for the year (look at his splits).

I think we all agree he is done as an NHL goalie, but this thread for *****ing & moaning is just getting old.
So GAA is a team stat? GA is a team stat? Gee, I have been watching hockey for about 32 years and never once have I've I seen GAA or GA referred to as a team stat. GAA and GA are a direct reflection on the indiviudal. It rates how they preform after the shot is taken when it's just the goalie against the puck and their ability, or in this case lack there of, to stop ii. To call them team stats is a veiled attempt to stake the focus off a guy that just did not preform as well as many liek to think. I do give you credit for digging up one of the most obsucre and meanignless stats I ever heard of though. Fourth in the league in saves per 60 minutes? Really? I am sure you had to search far and wide to find a stat that not only has no one ever heard of, but may be the most meaningless stat I have ever heard of.

I will end this by letting those who wish to back in his one alleged great "potential" or one "great" season knock themselves out. I prefer to keep with the facts.