View Single Post
Old
01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

vCash: 500
I like the fact that fighting is allowed in the NHL. It keeps the game honest and acts as a deterrent to dangerous actions on the part of some players.

However, the staged fighting needs to go. It serves no purpose within the context of today's game. Two goons squaring off for no other reason than to be seen as relevant is ridiculous. There will always be room for guys like Prust who can actually play the game and chip in some points, while also dropping the gloves if a teammate takes a dirty hit. What we don't need are Colton Orr and Jody Shelley types, goons who can't even take a normal shift, and stage about 80% of their fights.

As for fighting in Junior leagues, I would like to see that end entirely. I don't have any empirical evidence, but common sense tells me that fighting and sustaining blows to the head are much more dangerous to a growing, developing young man than they are to a full-grown man. The fights that Boogaard had in the WHL probably contributed more to his deterioration than his fights in the AHL and NHL.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote