View Single Post
Old
01-04-2012, 11:25 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Well, the annual All-Star game is being played on January 30, and fan balloting for the starters begins tomorrow (1/5).

It got me to thinking, is the All-Star game even relevant or necessary in the AHL? The games gets awarded on what seems to be a fisrt-come, first served basis and has been out East every year since 2001 with the exceptions of Grand Rapids in 2004 and Manitoba in 2006. Manitoba isn't that close to the central US teams (the Midwest and Texas teams). I guess Grand Rapids is, but that is once in ten years.

This year, it is in Atlantic City, so did any team even apply for it? I'm often left to wonder how player are selected for the game, and even when they are, there are always those that get called up to their NHL team and can't play.

So, is the All-Star game necessary in the AHL?
It's a pretty safe bet no team wanted to host it this season. It's also safe bet very few teams (if any) will want it next season.

It isn't out west because the host city is responsible for getting player to and from the game plus have to pay for various VIPs to attend (most based in the east) so it costs a lot more for them to host the game...like it or not logistically the east is better for costs.

From a PR perspective an ASG is necessary...in actuality no ASG is truly necessary

210 is offline   Reply With Quote