View Single Post
Old
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I guess the reality is the organization has a lot of money tied into Halak's future and none with Elliott.

The front office has to be rooting for Halak. But I'm certain they are leaving the game decisions up to Hitchcock.
While I agree that all of this is true, I think the FO has to consider the fact that Halak to this point in his NHL career has only been great when he has competition. In acknowledging this, we also admit that he is inconsistent. I think that inconsistency rings true both over the course of the whole season and from minute to minute. Halak does let in soft goals fairly frequently, which is bad in itself, but probably more troubling is his body language after giving up goals. I think the players in front of him see this and as a result have less confidence in Jaro. That not exactly a good recipe for success.

It is my recommendation that we keep Elliot around for another year. If that means paying the guy $2.5M for a season, then so be it. I would suggest telling Elliot that he has a chance at the starter role and will likely get no fewer than 30 games. If he wins the #1 spot then he will earn start level money the following year, at which time the Blues can unload Jaro. If Elliot thinks he can command more money on the FA market or that it is a better decision to move elsewhere then let him take that chance. Bishop is still an option, assuming we resign him.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote