View Single Post
Old
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr50l View Post
I'm of the opinion that fighting is so secondary to the concussion issue it barely deserves consideration. The media has shamelessly equated fighting and concussions because they already have a million arguments to make about it to sell their product. Fortunately the people charged with the safety of the game have a much clearer idea of what is causing concussions and are focusing their efforts on re-interpreting legal hits, reducing illegal hits and considering any other changes which could make the game significantly safer.

One other thing however, fighting at junior levels should be completely eradicated not so much because of the concussion issue but because it is completely barbaric. Guys like Boogard who couldn't actually play hockey very well should never have been told at 13 years old that if they fight they might become an NHL star. Removing the fighting from the junior levels would also have a knock on effect of essentially ending the era of the goon, and I don't see any reason why it would stop the tougher players who can actually play the game as well from making it to the NHL.
I totally agree. It nullifies the goon totally. Players would have to learn to play a regular shift and produce.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote