View Single Post
Old
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The fact is that every year there are OFF-THE-BOARD picks in the MLD, AAA, etc that are worthy picks. I know you have spoken often in the past as if all the good ones have been taken but time and again new ones pop up. I assume you have a few off the board gems you want to proflie! And I'm sure some that you think are lesser gems based on your info might actually be bigger gems once some other GM's info is added to it. I myself have a long list of guys I plan to research in the coming months for the depth drafts. I always pride myself in trying to find new off the board picks, and it is a real pleasure to go tah-dah and present a new off the board profile. Let's not start allowing anyone to throw out names of undrafted players while a draft is on!!! not on this subboard. We have never allowed it and shouldn't start to. In fact, ideally there should be no discussion of off the board picks once the next year's ATD draft begins. But, practically speaking, all I'm asking for is for us to not start approving of mentioning undrafted players once the MLD has begun.

To give two recent examples. Last year I drafted off-the-board-pick Billy Breen in the latter half of the Double-A after finally coming across sufficient info on this all-time great who had been on my radar for two years. Tah-dah. You guys loved it and he went in the 2nd round of the MLD this year. As well, off-the-board pick Barney Holden I drafted waaaaay late in the B-Draft last year and he went in the main ATD this year! I could give more examples from past years.

Please, let's agree that no one should be making any mention of undrafteds once the drafts begin, at least once the MLD begins! Whatever deserving picks you have remaining you could introduce as off the board picks in next year's depth drafts or undrafteds thread.

Those are extremely isolated cases. And you have to see that taking Billy Breen in the 1400s and seeing him rise 400 spots, and taking someone else in the 1900-2300 range and seeing him rise up 900 spots are more, are two very different things. Particularly when many different GMs participated in the depth drafts this year, and they were all a year older and wiser.

New names will pop up here and there but we are asymptotally getting to the proverbial bottom of the barrel. Really, this time we saw more action in the ďmodern players who look good and finally have a few season track record to back it upĒ category than in the old discoveries.

Surely you must understand I donít want to just pick from my pool of 365 undrafted players to stock my MLD team. Iíll get killed. Obviously I donít think that all of them are better than all MLD players, or even half of them. I know that you sometimes avoid a player you think is better, to take someone you really want to unveil/showcase/throw at the wall and see if he sticks, but I am always striving to take who I feel is the very best player for that role, whether heís never before mentioned, or a guy Iíve had 4 straight times. Obviously my MLD picks are going to include a lot of 2011 MLD players; to expect me to do otherwise is ludicrous.

Plus, how would I ever get to them all? There are 365 of them, and even if I were to draw entirely from that pool for the MLD, AAA, AA and A drafts there could still easily be over 200 left when weíre done, then Iím in this boat again. If I donít get them the exposure in the 2011 wave of drafting, then many of them will never get selected in the 2012 wave!!!!!

It would be a practical nightmare saving these for the next depth drafts. I canít do it.

So if all youíre asking for is no mentioning players once they MLD has begun, then weíre on the same page, right? Iíll do 2 a day for 180 days, and be done in time for July 1 st , which is when last MLD finally got underway. Sounds perfect.

Let the drafting beginÖ first picks coming soon.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote