View Single Post
Old
01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Yup, that team was old and was the last hoorah before the dark ages.

As mentioned before, Zubov and Norstorm were gone, Verbeek was not resigned (and in truth that draft pick traded for him turned out to be JS Gigure but Smith was very interested in Jay McKee so he would've helped....a lot!), Kovalev was out with a knee injury, and every round there was an injury or someone missing;

-Paul Laus cheap-shotted Bill Berg and broke his leg
-John MaClean slashed Sundstrom and broke his wrist
-Poor Alexander Karpotsev's (RIP) mother passed during the ECF so he had to go back to Russia of course.

Between all that you had guys like Dallas Eakins and Ken Gernander playing significant minutes up, and guys like Leetch (frozen wrist) and Robataille were just so beat up they couldn't do very much.

So if fully healthy the ECF would have gone 6-7 games and maybe Richter steals it, but who knows about playing Detroit. It would have been much more interesting then a sweep of Philly.
I never forgave him for that which is why I puked in my mouth a little when I heard we signed him. I was so happy when he flopped as a coach as well, bad karma baby.

That 97 team was real good but the injuries were just too much. Gretzky was amazing that whole run and scored the hatty in our only win in the series. Det was a very good team, Lidstrom, Federov, Larionov, Yzerman, among others they were much much deeper than the NYR so no I think DET wins it that year either way it shook out.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote