View Single Post
Old
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
They have almost 10 mill tied up in Koivu, Selanne and Blake; if they want to dump salary, they should give away Blake to a team needing to hit the cap floor and get a pick for Koivu. Selanne is a non issue for them; he comes of the books one way or another.

The answer would not be to trade any of Ryan, Perry or Getz; non of those guys have a cap hit over 5.325, nor is should that be too much tied up in a teams core three when you look around the league (even in comparison to the Preds core three forwards, the Ducks guys aren't making that much more).

If you look even further down that lineup, they have the following brutal contracts:
  • Hagman at 3
  • Cogliano at 2.4
  • Beauchemin at 3.8

The Ducks are more than five million under the cap as it stands; if they want to be in a cap sittuation like the Preds, replacing Selanne, Koivu and Blake with guys around the 1-2 mill mark would just about do it.
I agree with this. Unlike the speculation around Nash, none of Getzlaf, Perry or Ryan carry a terrible contract. Anaheim doesn't want to trade these guys because there's no way they'll get fair value for them and there are plenty of other ways for them to dump salary without killing fan interest or wrecking the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I think he's trying to shake up the team, too - for the GM to come right out and say "I'll trade anyone"...you don't hear that very often. They fired Carlyle and brought in a pretty big name in Boudreau to replace him. What else is left in the motivational cupboard?
Absolutely. It's a good tactic at this point. That team isn't playing up to expectations at all.