View Single Post
Old
01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Speaking for myself, and to repeat I've met some truly wonderful people from Philly.....BUT the Flyers tradition is truly awkward, IMO.

They are the only team in sport that I can think of that glorifies a brawling, violent history. I do not think it serves the city or it's reputation well.
Depends on what side of the fence you are on. Some may say Scott Stevens was a cheapshot artist, others thing he's one of the greatest defenders of all time.

To me, most fans glorify the Bullies because they brought the championship to Philadelphia, and leave the "brawls" as a sign of the time...a time that's long gone and will never return. Nonetheless, it is our heritage and you have to take the good with the bad. The Bullies started after the Flyers took a cheap shot (can't remember the player that got knocked out) and to us the Bullies represent not backing down from anything and giving it all that you got. At least that's how I've always looked at it. Although following in line with the side of the fence argument, obviously there are others that interpret it differently.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote