Thread: Setting the cap
View Single Post
Old
12-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter10
Just wondering where do you get that $8m from? This year the Cap is at 39m and the floor at 21.5m, isnt it? That makes a difference of 17.5m instead of 16m. .
For this year only the league made the salary range $17.5 million. To give teams a little leeway in adjusting to the new salary cap (so teams didn't have to cut/add too much salary to the roster). Starting next season and every season after that the $16 million salary range will be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter10
The difference between the floor and the avg payroll per team is also bigger than the difference between the cap and the avg payroll.
I am not entirely sure what the question is here. Can you rephrase it?

I will try to answer what I think you are asking. You are wondering why the leagues average salary is above the mid-point of the salary range correct?

If that is the case the answer is that the league will allow every team in the league to go to the salary cap if they want. The league put a clause into the new CBA that states that a certain % of the players paycheck will be withheld and deposited into an escrow account. If at the end of the year the players total salary exceeds 54% of league-wide revenues then the league will keep some of the money and return the remainder to the players. The players will never be able to make more than a certain % of league revenues.

Does that answer your question?