Thread: Recalled/Assigned: 1/5 Wingells recalled; White to IR
View Single Post
Old
01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Les Wynan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Do you think Mitchell's stats are inflated playing on the 1st line occasionally?

In any case, Handzus may be an issue, too but the reality is with his 2-year deal and an NMC, we're stuck with him so Mitchell is the player to be replaced. Then we'll see what happens.

I do agree if we could get Nielsen and Stempniak, that'd be solid. NO idea why DW didn't make a play for Stempniak this offseason. Just like Higgins the offseason before, he would have been cheap and a solid addition to the 3rd line.
Good question on Mitchell. I think that's definitely been the case as when he's been split from Handzus he's played with Thornton/Pavelski mostly but in those instances Handzus usually saw time with either Havlat or Marleau. In any case, Handzus just hasn't been doing the heavy lifting defensively (i.e. going up against top lines or even second lines on a regular basis) this season regardless of who he's played with and yet has still been completely dominated.

Stempniak would definitely be a smart, under-the-radar, buy low move similar to the Canucks picking up Higgins last season or the Hawks getting Frolik for scraps. I doubt the Flames would want much for him and seriously doubt he's in their future plans at all.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote