Thread: Recalled/Assigned: 1/5 Wingells recalled; White to IR
View Single Post
Old
01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Les Wynan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
How much of those statistics can be attributed to his line-mates? For shots taken for/against, it's not like he's the only forward on the ice. He's played a good portion of the season with Mitchell and McGinn, both sub-par defensive and possession players. Their numbers could be skewed considering both of them played some games with the first and second lines whereas Handzus has always been the 3rd line center playing with whoever is left.
As for the PK, hasn't he been paired with Thornton on a consistent basis? Thornton is an average PKer at best, which again, could skew Handzus' numbers.
Like I said, McGinn and Mitchell have kept their heads above water in terms of possession when they've been split from Handzus while Zeus has continued to drown. His Fenwick ratio (ES shots and missed shots for divided by total ES shots and missed shots, usually correlates well with scoring chances) has been 0.448, by far the lowest on the team. The closest player to him is Demers at 0.460 and the closest forward is McGinn at a positive 0.503. And while McGinn has historically been a poor possession player (who's obviously taken some serious and impressive strides forward this season), Mitchell posted really good possession numbers last year, although they were mostly a byproduct of getting to play with Pavelski and Wellwood.

He does spend a good amount of time killing penalties with Thornton (which is one of those PK pairings that I just can't wrap my head around the rationale behind) but in terms of allowing goals on the PK, he's been by far the worst forward on the team, significantly worse than even Thornton in that regard. And this is despite progressively seeing less time against the #1 unit as the season has gone on. It's a small sample size shorthanded and I don't want to pin the Sharks' PK failings on Handzus but he hasn't been good.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote