View Single Post
Old
01-07-2012, 09:53 AM
DM23BK30

vCash: 500
Boston had already been a 50-win team two seasons prior, so they knew they were on the cusp. The humiliating playoff defeat to Philly made those trades all the more justifiable for both the team and the fans.

I wouldnt make any major trades until after this season. For Boston to win a Cup, they essetially traded:

Wheeler (5th overall in 2004)
Stuart (21st overall in 2003)
Kessel (6th overall in 2006)
Colborne (16th overall in 2008)

A 2012 2nd Rounder (TBD)
A 2011 1st Rounder (Rackell)
A 2012 2nd Rounder (Prince)
A 2009 3rd rounder (Sundher)
A 2010 1st Rounder (Forbort)
A 2010 2nd Rounder (Petrovic)
A 2011 3rd Rounder (Rau)

In Summation, Boston traded 6 x 1st round picks, 3 x 2nd round picks, 2 x 3rd round picks, Dennis Wideman and some scrubs over the course of about two seasons for:

Kaberle
Peverly
Seguin
Kelly
G. Campbell
Paille

I didnt count Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight because they had no bearing on the Cup run.

The 1992 Rangers were steamrolling everybody and Neil Smith only made two very minor trades after the season started (not counting Moose): He traded Corey Millen for Randy Gilhen (4th liner) in late December and traded Randy Moller for Jay Wells (5/6 d-man) at the deadline.

In 1994 they were steamrolling everybody until they got pimpslapped by the Hawks (Keenan's old team) at MSG right before the deadline. After that game, Keenan went to Smith and wanted half the team traded. Everybody knows what happened next.

The Rangers have excellent prospects in their system. Hagelin, a 6th rounder, has only played 20 games and his value is through the roof. I say keep the team intact, make a minor trade or two and see what happens. The Rangers must be doing something right -- 12 players on the current roster were developed by the Rangers (including Macdonagh who played in Hartford). No need to trade anybody for a top tier rental just yet. Wait it out. Baby steps.

Now, if they lose in the 1st round....all that gets thrown out the window.