View Single Post
Old
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
I've definitely been impressed with Fairchild's progression this season. I remember saying over the summer to not forget about this guy and that he was a legit NHL prospect but I sure didn't expect him to be this good this fast. That's not to say he's on his way to stardom or anything but I think the Blues certainly have another young quality d-man with Fairchild. He'll likely only serve as depth for the most part this season but he's good depth to have and could be a part of the future in STL or used as trade bait.

I remember thinking that he was just ok after his Freshman season but then he really started to catch my eye after that. It seemed like many forgot about him while he honed his craft up at U of Minn but he developed into a good two-way d-man. He grew an inch or so too over that time to get to 5'11" so that helped as well.

I'm still pleasantly surprised we were able to get Sobotka for Warsofsky. Still, Army traded Warsofsky to the one team that would probably value him higher than any other team, the Bruins. Warsofsky was a Boston area HS star and then a star at Boston U so I'm sure he's got a little more pull for him there being the hometown kid than he would pretty much anywhere else and Army took advantage of that. That and the Bruins were loaded with centers and needed to make cap room so Army took advantage of that too. Warsofsky certainly has NHL skill but at 5'8"-5'9", my gut tells me he doesn't have enough skill to overcome that much of a size disadvantage at the NHL level. He's currently in his first pro season with the AHL's P-Bruins.

K-Berg seemed to have decent NHL skill but likely would've had to have put in a good amount of AHL time to have a chance to make it at 5'10" and he chose to stay in Sweden. That's not too surprising.

Given that all 3 were 4th or 5th rd picks, getting 1 of the 3 to develop into an NHLer is quite good and getting a quality player like Sobotka for another is outstanding.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote