View Single Post
Old
01-07-2012, 03:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Do you guys all have short memories or what? Wasn't Gomez-Gionta-Pacioretty our hottest line before patches injury? Last year?
Yeah Gomez leached a few assists from them. Gomez wasn't driving that line at all. It was also for a short stretch. Not really better than Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole for instance, perhaps not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

If we get rid of him we get nothing. In a trade we might even have to sweeten the deal with a pick or draft choice. And I'll be real peeved if we have to throw good futures away to unload this albatross named Gomez. Sending him to Hamilton seems like such a waste. And if one of our centers goes down with an injury we really have no one in Hamilton. Some smart a$$ GM might take him at half salary if he has to go through waivers.

So the obvious answer is we play him. But where? I want him nowhere near the top three centre positions. Pleks, DD & Eller can all outplay him in their sleep.

How about wing? Again where? We demote Patches, Cole, Gionta, Cammy, AK to the 4th line? The obvious yet completely wrong answer would be Moen. But Moen AK & Eller have shown to have chemistry and production when left together.

So, we're left with the fourth line. Even I, a complete Gomez hater, would not place Gomez on the fourth line. You're putting him there to fail. He's not a fourth line player - not even in his best days.

So we're caught in quite a conundrum. That's why I said 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I really don't want him on the team next year. He's a waste of space & cap hit. Ideally, the rest of this year I would like to put him in a situation where it'll be impossible for him to fail (give him a taco stand) where we can show he's not a total waste and then trade him in the off season - even for a bucket of rhinoceros summer pucks. Better yet at the trade deadline but good luck with that.
Gionta, Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Cole and Cammalleri can't be moved from the top9, so that leaves Gomez competing with Moen for a top9 spot. Moen is more deserving and adds much needed grit. He also has great chemistry with Eller.

This means Gomez has to go back on the 4th line. Imho its as much of a waste as having him in Hamilton, so we might as well waive him and send him them. Sure we can get injuries but I don't think its a problem. The more ice time we give Leblanc the better.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 01-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote