Thread: Speculation: 2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2012, 09:59 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post

Brouwer has been pretty much what I expected, and the hitting is much appreciated. Laich has played well defensively, but with that contract, he should be producing more offense. Put someone like Frans Nielsen or Jay McClement in his place and you've probably got the same production at a fraction of the price. I didn't like the deal when I first saw it, and I still don't. There's no reason to spend more than 3M on a 3C unless you're in a position like the Pens or Bruins where you have a bunch of talented centers. As for Ward... why the **** do you give a 3x4 contract to a player who's never topped 35 points? Yeah, intangibles, grinding, etc, but you can find those things without a 12M contract. I expected him not to live up to that contract, and he hasn't.
Heh, this last part is exactly how I felt about Laich/Ward signings.. sigh. Although when playoffs roll around, I expect to be more concerned with Semin & Green.

Still, good post.. I just read some comments by Green earlier, where he seemed really down on his injury, so it sounded bad. I'm still quite wary of the Caps giving him a multi-year deal at the current salary or similar.. too many doubts about playoff performance and durability.

Btw, is there any expectation of how the salary cap will evolve?