View Single Post
Old
11-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Straka & Kraft to Detroit (rumour)

Posted by someone on redwingcentral.com

Quote:
Pittsburgh is very interested in parting with Martin Straka's $4.7 million contract and Milan Kraft's $ 935,000 contract (which is a one way deal).

Straka's deal runs through 2004-2005. Kraft is on a one way contract that will expire at the end of the season. He would require a $1.1 million qualifying offer which the Pens are unwilling to do. He is not playing so they want to dump him now rather than pay him to sit on the bench and lose him anyway.

Kraft was picked before Fischer in the 1998 entry draft.

Both Straka and Kraft have been offered for draft picks or cheap players. (More likely for free if someone was willing to pick up their contracts).

Rumors coming out of Toronto are that Detroit is interested in Straka but want Pittsburgh to pick up some salary or take a high priced player in return.

The deal hit a snag when Straka was hit with a puck and his foot swelled up.

"Straka was hit in the foot with the puck by teammate Drake Berehowsky during a game against the Boston Bruins last Saturday, and when it swelled up on him, he and team doctors became concerned. A source later said that Straka's X-ray was negative."

Not sure where the deal is right now but as of last night, it was still on the table.

Steve Thomas made reference to a trade in his interview with a Toronto Radio station right after signing a contract with Detroit.

The radio station confirmed the rumor, and said that Straka would soon be headed for Detroit.

My own speculation is that Detroit would be willing to trade Boyd Devereaux for Straka as they are not going to qualify him with an offer before July 1st anyway (they would have to offer him $1.8 million per season to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent).

While Pittsburgh, I am sure, is not interested in Boyd at $1.6 million, they could save themselves about $3 million in the transaction.

The Pens are very unlikely to make the playoffs this season and it is clear that Straka does not fit in at $4.7 million.
The source I'm told does have his connections, but I don't know him firsthand. In any case, here it is.