View Single Post
Old
01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And that is why I think it is the coaching more than the players. They don't take risks, i.e., pushing the play when the opponent doesn't give it to them. This is so that they can stay in their defensive posture and limit shots against.

I would say that most passes through the middle are cut off, but if you don't try, you will never generate those shots from the middle. It may take 20 passes to get those 4 or 5 high quality shots, but that is better than 20 shots from the outside. If you just take the easy shot from the outside, you just hurt your shooting percentage and inflate your shots for. That I believe is a coaching problem. It is just hard to break the habits of the past 4 seasons with Murray and Sutter thinks the system is just fine as is.
Just exactly correct. Perfectly said.

I want to say thank you to both of you guys for this debate and for taking the time to put up the shot tracking charts. I think they will go a long way with helping people understand what is happening and they are an excellent point of reference when things eventually change.

It is also interesting to see players who have made their livings going into the sticky places be so uncertain about how and when to do so. CLEARLY a case of players doing what they have been told to do for the most part and then the rest is due to the fact that they don't want to have to deal with the ramifications of being out of what they are being told is position.

Excellent thread.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote