vCash: 500
RW Ken Houston

328 pts in 570 GP
19 pts in 35 playoff GP
x6 20 goals
x2 50 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydraftcentral
Converted from defense to right wing for his rookie year. ... Made a name for himself as rookie when he fought with Philadelphia's Dave Schultz, injuring Schultz's jaw and forcing him out of a gam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Sun
Soft spoken, level-headed, unassuming.

Ken Houston was a big, quiet guy who went about his business, often effectively, of patrolling a wing for the Atlanta and Calgary Flames.

An honest, 20-goal scorer.

But when push came to punch, the 6-ft., 2-in, 210-pounder could deliver with the best of them.

And one of the first punches the native and present resident of Chatham, Ont., threw gave him instant fistic prowess in a league sprinkled with menacing heavyweights.

Just days after donning an Atlanta jersey, he broke the jaw of highly-regarded Philadelphia Flyers tough guy Dave 'The Hammer' Schultz.

"It was right after I'd scored my first goal," recounts Houston, during a telephone interview. "He was my check and after the faceoff, we went back down into the Philly end and were buzzing the net.

"Play stopped and he seemed to take offence that I'd scored my first goal against him. There was a lot of yipping and pretty soon it was time to do something about it ... and the gloves were off."

The bout went for several minutes.

"The linesmen started moving in between us and he was still yapping so I reached around and hit him again. I don't know if that's the one that did it or not."

Houston played seven of his nine seasons in the NHL with the Flames, scoring 128 of his 162 goals and collecting 516 of his 624 penalty minutes.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote