View Single Post
Old
01-09-2012, 02:16 AM
fauxflex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
agreed, bourdon had a horrible pinch today that led to that 3 on 1.not to mention carle scoring on his own goaltender.... we need one more good d man to pair with mez and to bring gus up. then if bryz still lets up 4 goals consistantly i'll start blaming bryz. until then i can't pin it on a goalie when he has inconsistant team d played in front of him.
Bourdon was trying to support Jagr there right as Karlsson was winning the puck from Jagr...bad timing. Bourdon, for his part, skated hard and got back in time to cover the trailing man of the three attackers. Carle took the pass on the remaning 2 on 1 and well, Bryz couldn't make the save. It wasn't the best moment to pinch but I've seen worse...at least he got back to cover.

IMO, Bourdon doesn't deserve any more blame than most of the other D corps. As a rookie, he's going to make mistakes, but I think he makes lots of good plays too, like bodying guys coming across the blueline, blocking shots and shot attempts, making decent passes out of the zone, and he's starting to get more shots lately.

It's easy to point to the rook for blame when he makes any mistakes but I don't think Bourdon is the cause, per se, of the d sucking (at times)...that said, one can certainly make an argument that having to play Bourdon in place of Pronger is a big factor. His presence is sorely missed. Ideally, you want a reliable and experienced veteran to take his place but we don't have that (yet). Honestly, I don't mind playing Bourdon for now. I like his game and think it's good to get him some NHL experience even if it means dealing with the occasional rookie gaffe. Now, if the team starts losing a bunch and Bourdon's bad play is part of that, then things change.