View Single Post
Old
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Cam Reid has left St. Cloud for Portland of the WHL. As a Husky fan, this pisses me off to no end. I'd understand it if he was an 18 year old freshman who wasn't getting playing time but he's 20, has missed one game in his career and was producing at the college level. His grades were not great but he was still eligible so in my opinion, he did nothing more than quit on his team to play for another for a maximum of 5 months. This after St. Cloud took him when he couldn't get in to UNH. Congrats Cam, you just screwed a locker room full of guys counting on you for totally selfish reasons.
I completely understand that point of view and really have no clue whether or not he consulted the Predators before making this decision since they own his NHL rights. From his perspective though, I tend to agree that it's difficult to pass up the opportunity to play 1st line center between a 1st and 2nd round picks for a playoff bound WHL team if you believe that you are close to being ready to make the jump to the pro ranks.

SCSU no doubt just got screwed. With only 13 healthy forwards left on the roster, Reid was expected to be a leader on the ice for that team and he's now gone. Only a sophomore, he still had two years of NCAA eligibility left. Now he has 35 regular season games and the playoffs to prove himself in the WHL.

Question really now becomes, will he play well enough in the WHL to warrant the Preds giving him a shot at Milwaukee next season or does he go the route of Taylor Stefishen and head to the CIS next season to continue his college education via the CHL educational program?

I've only seen Reid in one camp and liked his raw skill. A playmaking center, Reid hung around a lot with Craig Smith that camp and the two of them impressed me going through drills together. Reid has been someone I've been keeping an eye on as a darkhorse prospect for that reason. He did not attend prospect camp this past summer, instead training 5 days a week at the Olympic Training Center in his hometown of Vancouver...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote