View Single Post
Old
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Not sure what you've been looking at but everyone was going bonkers. Hence shipping him out in every deal possible (something that makes zero sense given he just signed the deal and the fact that his value his at its lowest at that point..but why let logic effect trade rumors around here, right?) and constantly *****ing about the contract.
Everyone? Hardly. The same few people that constantly make ridiculous proposals whenever a player slumps? Sure. The fact of the matter is people were concerned, and they had the right to be. I understand your logic, but Dubinsky had been playing below average by his standards for the first half of the season. You get more money, you're subject to more scrutiny. That's the way it goes for ANY player in the NHL. Hell, that's how it goes in professional sports as a whole.

Quote:
I really didn't see anyone giving him a break for being a home grown player. As mentioned several times, most people on here seem to have severed their tie with him when he missed wind sprints two summers ago. Apparently that was a slap to their face.
Seems to me the only people still clinging to that series of events are the people who want to use it as "exhibit A" whenever someone says a bad thing about him. The common point being made was that Dubinsky had 2 goals as of Christmas. I don't care how you slice it, that's not acceptable. Even if he's contributing in other ways, we need him to score goals. That's a significant part of why we're paying him what we're paying him. I can't remember the last time I saw someone say, "Hey, remember when Dubi held out two years ago? Let's trade him."

Quote:
Again, if he ends up with 40 points in year one of this contract and plays strong down the stretch, in the post season, and this team goes deep, who cares? It's the first year of a four year contract.

If Gaborik scores around 40 this year and is around 30+ each of the two years after, was he not worth his contract because of last season? (I'm sure MSGtheplacetobe will give us a resounding YES on that one)

Once we're under the salary cap....who cares? It's about the team winning at that point.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. It seems like you're implying that just because the team has been performing well as a whole, that is a suitable excuse for Dubinsky to perform at a level below what we all know he's capable of? I can't imagine Tortorella was telling Dubinsky that it was okay for him to be slumping offensively because the rest of the team was picking up the slack. That's just not a good mentality to have.

I'm not sure why you're up in arms because some of us feel Dubinsky has it in him to be a better player than he showed for the first half of the year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote