View Single Post
Old
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I think it's clear that Torts uses different tactics on different players. This is one reason I can't stand the constant "Torts holds players accountable" crap that people regurgitate over and over. Torts holds players accountable that he feels need to be held accountable. Other players he doesn't. You don't see him benching Ryan Callahan when he takes bad penalties. Torts picks and chooses. And I'm sure a lot of that has to do with how he thinks different players need to be coached. Boyle is a player that Torts believes in and it's clear that he hasn't reached the point with him yet where he feels the need to hold him accountable for his lack of offense, because of all the other things he brings. He's started showing the first sign of that hope waning with his comments about that line needing to step up offensively, and it's clear that Boyle has been spoken to about this because he even mentioned how he needs to produce to stay in the lineup at this point. Torts has had Boyle on a very long leash this season, different than he would have with a lot of other players (Feds as well), but he might be realizing his tactic hasn't been working and it's time to switch it up.
FWIW--whenever Boyle and whatever linemates he has on a particular night are spending significant time in the offensive end of the ice crunching enemy defenses--whether they score or not they are making life miserable for the other team. That and the fact that he's fairly reliable defensively means he gets ice time. Noticed though from 24/7 that Torts sometimes gets really angry at Boyle and that Brian might just be one of those players that responds best to a kick in the ass instead of a pat on the shoulder.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote