Thread: Larry Brooks: Sather keeps Avery in limbo
View Single Post
Old
01-12-2012, 09:22 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
This is a non issue as far as I'm concerned. Avery (whom I like actually) was given an opportunity to find a suitor before being placed on waivers... No takers. He was then placed on waivers... No takers. Now a team wants him if he'll cost even less but the NYR would be on the hook for dead cap space.

Even if it's $5 I don't do it.

We need a scoring left wing... Cap space is going to be crucial for a rental or beyond. Sorry, but unless the situation doesn't affect the NYR cap at all (or favorably) its a non-issue.
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that the cap hit for the claiming team would be the same whether Avery was picked up off waivers or off re-entry waivers. This is because Avery is already at half price from us picking him up off re-entry.

I think the only difference is in who pays the other half. Off waivers, the claiming team pays half and dallas still pays half. Off re-entry, the claiming team pays half and we still pay half.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the way it works. If so, then the only reason to pick him up off re-entry instead of regular waivers is to make us eat the cap hit instead of dallas.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote