View Single Post
Old
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Interesting discussion because this is something I've been struggling with. I had been taught that you bring the foot back under you; even power skating coaches I've seen teach getting that foot back under you and trying to get it flat on both edges for a better glide etc.

But...I notice that when I skate, if I bring my foot all the way back under me, I don't balance as well and I'm not as smooth. But when I keep my feet wider and don't bring them all the way in, I feel great; stronger and better balanced and I don't lose any speed. I've gotten to the point that whenever I have any feeling of balance problems, I simply bend knees more (roll my ankles forward actually) and widen my stance. I've concluded that either I've been bringing my feet toooo far back under me, or the reality is that you don't bring your skate all the way under. Based on watching video, I think it's the latter.
this is the complete opposite of what you should be doing.

too many instructors teach pull the rope with your arms and push back. you should be swinging your arms side to side and push outwards to the side to build speed as well as maintain balance.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote