View Single Post
Old
01-13-2012, 11:14 AM
r3cc0s

vCash: 500
that video is pretty insightful... and shows the merits of his style

and thinking about it, is "skating" a generic term, like running?

I mean there is a huge difference between a sprinter and a distance runner, and at the end of the day, their objectives are different yet simular... maximum output through maximizing effeciency

but effenciency is the key word...

trying the "wide" constant pushing style... is obviously more in line with sprinting and I found that I wasn't ever really gliding. It was definately found it more fatiguing, though perhaps "more stable" as your legs are under constant load. I did feel pretty strong pushing out of turns and especially when making crossovers with the puck... again as the distance your leg pushes outwards and the cadance is simular.

Perhaps one huge benefit is this, especially for those learning... because you're already wide, it kinda prevents you from exerting extra force upwards, where alot of beginners end up with that head bobble. I get it, every stride goes right into the ice, but every stride is unfortunately short IMO...

I find the "wide" style more like a constant sprint... running style, where you're pretty much just using a flat bladed toe start continually until you actually get to speed, rather than gliding.

top end faster? I don't know.. I have the heel to heel "click" style down to the point where I find maximizing the lenght of my glide to be much more effeicient than just powering through and when I have the puck and have a step on another player... I can hear his feet moving like mad, not catching up, while I'm just smoothly gliding towards the net.

"I think" a big benefit as well, is balance, again for those learning espeically... the heel click recovery "can" cause one to lose balance if lets say the puck gets lost at your feet inbetween your strides... as opposed to just widening your legs, slowing down to look for it, alot of newb' I've seen just stand up and lose balance.

maybe its faster accellerating to the top end, so I'll give it a couple more go's, but I think something has to be said about those smooth skaters who do skate heel to heel and can play those 25+ minutes without losing a step

Last edited by r3cc0s: 01-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote