Thread: Patrick Holland
View Single Post
Old
01-13-2012, 02:56 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I have scouted and written about Patrick Holland for HF before changing to write about the Habs prospects. Here's my take on Holland.

This young kid was a 7th round pick and has improved his game every year in junior. He has the speed, quick and smooth skating style while being very strong on his skates for his light weight but also has offensive skill to play with the better players and is very solid defensively. The two-way forward can play all the forward positions, is a playmaker with a quick release and can play the power play and excels on the penalty kill. He was a one of Tri-city's best penalty killers in his first three seasons and has continued to improve even more this season. Holland has slowly move up the line-up into the Top-six over the last two seasons. He has shown the most improvement in his total overall game for the Flames' prospects. Before Calgary drafted him, in his rookie WHL season, Holland was asked to play his off-wing(he's a right-hand shot) for the entire season and really impressed his coaches and the Flames' scouts as it is rare that a Junior coach will put a rookie in that spot.

Holland did attend the Summer camp for Team Canada Juniors and was not out of place one bit. He started slowly this season for Tri-city as he learned to shed the more intense checking that was put on him this year. He was flying under the radar the past few seasons as he was just not flashy and seemed to go unnoticed by other teams but seemed to always be on the score sheet somehow at the end of the game.

Holland played on the top line for the Flames with Sven Baertschi and Max Reinhart in the Young prospect tournament against the Oilers and Canucks. He was never out of place speed wise, covered defensively for them most of the time while setting them up for goals and burying most of his chances. This kid can do it all so he's not going to be a liability if he's not scoring and he's has an edge to his game, will drive the net hard and is not intimidated by anyone on the ice. He put on 15lbs over the past summer and continues to gain weight with muscle mass this season.

In my opinion, Patrick Holland should make the NHL and could be a Plekanec type player quite easily. He will be the sleeper in this trade even if Rammo decides to come back to the NHL which is quite doubtful. That's my two cents.
Sounds good.

I hope he's gonna have a bit more impact than Pyatt or Maxwell.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote