View Single Post
Old
12-24-2005, 09:45 AM
biscuithead

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
The Olympics are about politics 1st that is why TV won't see any/much ice time, same reason PK was left off team Canada. If the coach plays Hasek and loses no one will second guess him if he plays Vokoun and loses he'll get ripped. It's better for the coach to play Hasek and lose than to play TV and win.
While I might buy the second part of this, I don't the first. If politics were such a factor, why Bertuzzi? I think some Canada officials have even questioned his inclusion. Kariya wasn't left off because of politics and while yeah, he's certainly more skilled than Draper, Draper plays a role that true TEAMS need. It's not an All Star game as someone has said and you need all types to win. Frankly, I'd have put Staal on the regular roster (not just the taxi) before PK.

I think people might question the Czech coach if he favored Hasek and lost when TV's been the hotter goalie over the past couple of years. Hasek's played great this year and his stats are good but he doesn't face that much pressure playing for Ottawa. After not playing regularly since 02-03, how many close games has he been in? The guy's 40 now, too.