View Single Post
Old
01-13-2012, 04:00 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Andy Bathgate, Howell, were both questionable additions to the rafters. Their accomplishments, in a less competitive time period, with the NYR were not overwhelming. I'm not going to pretend that I saw them play, because I didn't, I wasn't even alive in the 50's, 60's and 70's. But I'd bet the large majority of people on this forum didn't watch them either. Based on what I read they were questionable additions.

Secondly, Adam Graves was fantastic for the NYR. His 93-94 season will live on in most of our hearts. That said, he didn't get retired because of his play on the ice, but because of the extra work he did off the ice. I thought his addition to the rafters was questionable.

I think the only players we recently retired that are sure fire locks for the rafters were Messier, Leetch and Richter.

Someone who had seen Daneyko, I can firmly say his addition to the rafters for the NJD was questionable.

I have extremely high standards for retiring a player to the rafters though. I think it should be reserved solely for the Messier / Leetch elite players, not anyone who was remotely border line.
This is all fine You have a criteria. My only question was why the recent retiring of numbers was "desperate". Questionable? Sure. Desperate? I don't get it. It's not like they were mandated to retire numbers and had to scramble to pick a few.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote