View Single Post
Old
01-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
You may not agree with the artcile, but that is what it is. An article. Some guy's opinion.

Honestly, I had some pangs in my heart re-living some of those moments... I remember what a so-so team the Habs were in 86. How the '93 team beat the odds with a worse roster.

I remember Corey, Houle, Turgeon (Tur-juane, as I called him back then), Savard (all of them) on a day to day basis. Not in stories, but being a rabid fan, living day to day with this team. They were dark days.

The Habs fooled themselves into thinking they were good teams after those two Cups... and that was what screwed them. Guys who did not deserve it, delivered a Cup, then lived on the glory well past their expiration date.

And now we have Pierre Gauthier and his ilk of Senators and Nordiques... guys that never won a thing. Now.... they are the Habs.

The language thing, well.... that is a distraction from the thing that counts. Heart. Winning.
80 through 93 Montreal was consistently one of the top 5-6 teams in the league. Those 2 cups were entirely deserved. Any other franchise that's a golden age. In Montreal it gets dumped on because it wasn't the 70's or 50's. The talent they dealt away for nothing 95 on was what killed the franchise.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote