View Single Post
Old
01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
@ Sting... I get it. You like to focus solely on the negative aspects of the last 7 years, or at least of nearly everything involved with the Rangers.
If that makes it easier for you to fail to address the points I made, so be it. To me, it just seems like you're painting me in very broad strokes because it makes dismissing my argument more convenient for you.

Quote:
Of course, you also say you're not going to ignore the last 7 years. I agree with you. I don't ignore the last 7 years, either. You just ignore large parts of the last 7 years, while I try to look at the whole picture.
Please don't predictably paint me as some kind of Grinch or Scrooge, as others have tried in the past, if you're not going to take into account everything I have to say. You know, I was posting here about how the Rangers can and will likely end up getting Brad Richards as early as the middle of 2010, if not earlier. Not just can and will, but should, because as I said even then, the Rangers were in position to be a very good team, thus making such an acquisition reasonable. I have no difficulty "admitting" or enjoying the fact that the Rangers are good right now. I'm incredibly positive about this team today. Please, I implore you, find someone, anyone, who has been talking about how great Henrik Lundqvist or Ryan Callahan are longer than I have. Or about how smart a player Derek Stepan is, or how criminally underrated Michael Sauer is. It's easy to pick and choose what I have to say, but I'm not picking and choosing what Sather has done. I'm simply trying to put it into context. The big picture, as you say. I'm very, very happy about where the Rangers are right now. Thrilled. I've had largely nothing but positive things to say about the team, the coach, etc. this season. But all of this (if not more) could have been achieved just as quickly, if not sooner, in a far less reckless and illogical manner.

Quote:
Rebuilds of this nature don't really happen? Tell that to Detroit. Tell that to San Jose. Tell that to Philadelphia. All of those teams have rebuilt competitively (no quotations) in the last decade. If you'd prefer, you can call it "re-tooled with youth." It's the same thing: phase out the vets and phase in the youth. The difference is that the Rangers were doing it from a starting point of nothing, whereas those teams did it from a starting point of already being competitive.
No, Tawnos. The difference is that the Rangers started from nothing in large part thanks to Glen Sather. The difference is that those teams were in a position to retool on the fly, and did so by making, by and large, well-considered, timely transactions that often brought in the right players, at the right price, and for the right roles. The difference is that those teams brought in elite talent, while the Rangers brought in role players, has-beens, and lazy, overweight dolts, paid them more money than those teams paid for elite talent, and put the future of this plan/process that you want to give Sather such credit for in dire risk. Just because it worked out with them does not mean that it was always destined to. All it would have taken was for Bob Gainey to NOT be interested in trading for Scott Gomez, and this team would be in a much, much different place today. Because if Glen Sather were the GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets, he would have signed Wade Redden just the same, he just wouldn't have been able to afford to bury him in the minors.

Quote:
As for the rest of it, I understand where you're coming from. I really do. If you were to ask me if I've been a "happy Rangers fan" for the last 7 years, I would say not at all. If you were to ask me if I would prefer someone else running the Rangers, I would say "absolutely." To me, there's a lot of dichotomy involved when looking at Glen Sather. I wouldn't say I like it that way. You say (or at least imply) that Sather's early tenure is unforgivable. Personally, I don't need to forgive the guy. He is the GM of the Rangers. I want to see the GM of the Rangers succeed. I don't care who he is.
Then, again, you don't get it, or understand where I'm coming from at all. I don't care about seeing the GM of the Rangers succeeding. I want the Rangers to succeed, and in my eyes, the Rangers have been a pathetic failure for about a decade. Not because they didn't win a Stanley Cup, but because they never had a snowball's chance to. Because the way in which their teams were constructed for a number of consecutive seasons were an insult to their fanbase. Not because they weren't good, but because they were a special kind of bad. Because they took an already drawn out process, overseen by the buffoon who made such a process necessary, and routinely put it and the team's future at risk, not to mention the ability for fans to enjoy the team. Today's success does not change that, especially when it's very easy to see how today's success may not even be here had it no been for a couple of, frankly, lucky events. I'm a pretty difficult person to offend. You can say more or less whatever you want to me about my ethnic background, my appearance, my social status, etc. It doesn't really bother me. But when you try to insult or attack my intelligence, that's something I don't care for. 7/1/07, 7/1/08...these days might as well have been Hiroshima and Nagasaki to me as a Rangers fan. It was as if the team was saying, "not only are we so stupid that we're going to make the same horrifying mistakes again, just much, much worse, but clearly you're even more of a moron, because now we're going raise ticket prices and sit here and tell you how phenomenal this is going to be."

I'm glad the team is good now. I haven't had as much fun watching Rangers hockey as I have this season since I was a child. As happy as that makes me, it also makes me remember why it has been such a long time, and that only a few short years ago, I had never had less fun watching Rangers hockey.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote