View Single Post
Old
01-13-2012, 06:04 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Either you didn't understand what I was trying to say or I said it poorly. I wasn't talking about pushing to the side or to the back. Obviously I push to the side. What I was talking about was how far back under you do you return the skate. I've had power skating coaches talk about bringing it fully back under you so that a) you get a longer stride and b) you get the front skate flatter and get better glide than you do if you're more on the edge of the front skate. I've taken two different clinics where this was taught, yet when I actually watch the best skaters closely or in slo mo, they don't bring that foot back all the way under them, they actually stay wider than that.

To me, this is akin to the old saying in baseball about hitting - i.e., 'hit the top half of the baseball', which isn't meant literally. It's meant to be a thought trigger to make sure the hitter goes straight to the ball without dropping their hands below. You want dead square contact, but you get it by mentally thinking about keeping your hands high and hitting the top half of the ball.

The other thing I notice about skating that I constantly try to point out to my son to improve how strong he is on his skates, is how much time a strong player or pro player spends with his feet spread and on his inside edges. They are in that position the vast majority of the time on the ice. The amount of time a pro player spends up on his blades with either of his feet really under him is very small. It's really shocking when you really focus on it during a game.
i did misread what you wrote, my bad

in teh BRacko seminars i went to he was showing the science behind the stride. the way he was showing it is that you do not need to bring your skate under you. there is an invisble line right down teh middle of your body, if your skate crosses this line (ie your right skate comes under your body onto the left side of the invisible line) you lose power. you lose power because you cannot push yet, you have to wait for your leg to be at a proper angle for you to effectlively push again. I dont remember the exact numbers but each stride was wasting .06 seconds or something, which seems miniscule but over 15-20 strides were talking a second of difference. the first drill we did on ice after the seminar was he lined 20 cones and we had to skate over them with a leg on each side and you couldnt touch the pilons. basically the pilons were a separater and you couldnt bring your legs together. i encourage any of you to just try it once. i honestly felt more power from my stride, i played hockey for 20+ years and i could feel the difference. when i started playing with my regular team again they noticed a difference.

obviously everyone is different but i do encourage everyone to try this basis for skating.

during the presentation he was showing before and after videos of women from teh canadian national team. posting their speed etc before and after changing their skating styles, you dont need a testomonial for that, you can see it on teh videos. he also pulled video from teh fastest skater comp for the last 4 years. every single player skated the exact same way. it was really eye opening to see.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote