View Single Post
Old
01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Management and ownership has been revamped at least 3 times since the last cup. Over that period of time, nothing has changed. This leads me to believe, that management isn't the real issue facing the Habs.

The consistent issues the Habs have faced over the same period are:
- High taxes
- Language issues
- An ignorant fan base who treats the players like movie stars instead of athletes
- Rabid (and overly dramatic) 24/7 local sports media coverage

Now considering the first 3 issues have been around since the Habs played their very first game way back when, I'd say that the advent of 24/7 coverage is the single biggest issue facing the Habs (and the Leafs) today.

Back in the day, people read Habs news in the morning paper, and got a little blurb about last night's game on the 6 o'clock news. Reporters are now forced to embellish and overly dramatize events because there's only so much that can be said about a hockey team that would qualify as actual news (definitely not enough to cover them 24/7). This in turn results in turning the fan base against the team (remember how Price supposedly had a coke habit and a bodyguard, or "The Darkest Day in Habs History"?). This in turn discourages kids and players alike from ever wanting to play for the team. Especially considering the fact that there are tons of other options out there where the issues don't exist (on top of low taxes, no language issues, and an uninterested local fan base).

Hell, if I was good (and young) enough to play in the NHL, I probably wouldn't want to play for the Canadiens either (or at least not until much later in my career).

Until the media backs the **** off, the team will remain mediocre no matter who's in charge (personally, I don't believe even Pollock would have better luck today than any of the guys running the Habs over the last decade).
Not having top picks might have something to do with it too.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote