View Single Post
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i did misread what you wrote, my bad

in teh BRacko seminars i went to he was showing the science behind the stride. the way he was showing it is that you do not need to bring your skate under you. there is an invisble line right down teh middle of your body, if your skate crosses this line (ie your right skate comes under your body onto the left side of the invisible line) you lose power. you lose power because you cannot push yet, you have to wait for your leg to be at a proper angle for you to effectlively push again. I dont remember the exact numbers but each stride was wasting .06 seconds or something, which seems miniscule but over 15-20 strides were talking a second of difference. the first drill we did on ice after the seminar was he lined 20 cones and we had to skate over them with a leg on each side and you couldnt touch the pilons. basically the pilons were a separater and you couldnt bring your legs together. i encourage any of you to just try it once. i honestly felt more power from my stride, i played hockey for 20+ years and i could feel the difference. when i started playing with my regular team again they noticed a difference.

obviously everyone is different but i do encourage everyone to try this basis for skating.

during the presentation he was showing before and after videos of women from teh canadian national team. posting their speed etc before and after changing their skating styles, you dont need a testomonial for that, you can see it on teh videos. he also pulled video from teh fastest skater comp for the last 4 years. every single player skated the exact same way. it was really eye opening to see.
This is exactly what I notice. When I bring my leg in way under me, I lose not only power, but more importantly balance as well. When I stay wide, everything works better. Problem I'm having is simply trying to break the muscle memory and change the way I skate. I much prefer the wide style, but it's gonna take me a while to make it intuitive and not have to think about it while I'm playing.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote