View Single Post
Old
01-14-2012, 12:56 AM
HockeyGuy1975

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
a 100 meter dash is the complete opposite of a skating technique. your legs and arms should coordinate when moving, a running motion there is no push to the side at all, it is striaght forward the power is generated by the push of your body forward. Skating the power is generated by pushing directly to the side, the only time you would see someone push directly back would be on figure skates, maybe.

I cant open youtube right now but speed skaters are slightly different as their skates are different but the concept is the same. from memory i dont picture a speed skater "pulling a rope" with their arms, i may be wrong so i will find video evidence either way later tonight.

*also i only posted Brackos video website as i cannot access youtube, i do know he did have videos up there before and if i could access it from work i would have posted those instead.
I mentioned the 100 meter dash with respect to arm swing -- your points are irrelevant. And, yes, speed skaters skate exactly the opposite of what Bracko teaches and what you are advocating. Do check out Youtube on that. And also check out Bure or Fedorov videos.

Disagreement is good so I appreciate the comments, but I fundamentally disagree. Also, take a look at Bracko's Youtube videos and you'll see that they are a complete joke. He claims to time players on the two different techniques, yet when the sample skaters put little effort when trying the classic Stamm methods and maximum effort for his technique. It is laughable. As for the PhD -- whatever. Getting a PhD based on a dissertation on hockey forward skating doesn't mean anything other than Bracko was able to devise some statistical studies and advocate a position. Do you think the school that awarded him his PhD believes in the Bracko more than the Stamm method? How many doctors do you see on late night informercials trying to sell you stuff?

Also, for those that are testing out the wide, short strides -- try skating like that for a game and see how much more tired you will be. Long, efficient strides save energy and place your blade on the ice for a longer time, therefore you don't have to repeat as much, therefore you save energy.

We are talking about open ice skating and acceleration after your first few steps -- not skating with a guy bearing down on you. Everyone knows a wide stance gives you more balance when gliding, but this conversation is not about gliding.

Finally, if you don't have good balance while bringing your feet directly under you, it is because you're not a very good skater.

Last edited by HockeyGuy1975: 01-14-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: typos
HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote