View Single Post
Old
01-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Boardish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
That's right, forget about the Yakupov/Grigorenko debate.

I have a different debate between the 2 other elite forwards available in the draft in Swede right wing Filip Forsberg and Russian-American center Alex Galchenyuk.

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Dumba and/or Murray are picked. Hypothetically (not far-fetched), we have the 5th overall pick at the draft, and Forsberg and Galchenyuk are still available (assuming Galchenyuk has a BEAST playoffs), who would you take?

Personally, I would not mind having either, but if I was TT, I would take a risk on Galchenyuk because he is everything we have been looking for in our future number 1 center. He is a dynamic skater (pre-injury, will see how leg reacts when he returns), a great passer, creates his own plays and is very good defensively. He also plays a power game and can play with an edge and he also has a hell of a shot.

Forsberg would also be a good pick to make, don't get me wrong, but his showing at the WJC was not very impressive and I saw that he was used as the 13th forward by the gold medal game.

Like I said, this is a HYPOTHETICAL situation, but if you were TT with the 5th overall pick, who would you pick?
People tend to give way too much importance to the WJC. It's a tournament made for 18-19 years old players, it's really rare to see a 17 years old prospect having an impact. He was Sweden youngest player and I thought he did very well in his role.

Remember Sean Couturier last year? A very limited role, 13rd forward, left people unimpressed. Well the kid is in the NHL this year. Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, didn't make TC last year, it doesn't change the fact that they will end up being elite players. Even before the selection camp started, Forsberg was a sure shot of making a stacked team Sweden. That's impressive to me.

Anyway, I would be happy with either Galchenyuk or Forsberg. I really want to get a forward with gamebreaker potential.