View Single Post
Old
01-14-2012, 03:11 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Tim Ecclestone, RW

Ecclestone had been creeping towards the top of my list for a while. I saw him as a decent two-way player, good offensively and defensively though not a standout.

I wish I had done more research previously, because I'd have definitely selected him. With 359 points, he was 11th among remaining players (5th in assists, by a winger that is awesome), and there are no 300-point players with PK resumes like him: 24% killed, 11% better than average. (no, that's not huge but all the very best PKers are long gone, and like I said, anyone with scoring ability remaining has little to no PK history). Overall he was a strong contributor to teams that were 5% better than average during his career. Plus what is written about him is pretty exemplary.

As such, as an overall player it quickly became clear to me that Ecclestone was the best NHLer available at RW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 hockey card
a better than average stickhandler...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 hockey card
Tim is looked upon as a solid, two-way player. he can play all three forward positions but generally stays on the right side. Tim is a top-notch checker and relies on a hard wrist shot around the net. He's also a fine playmaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 hockey card
Tim can play all three forward positions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 hockey card
one of the most versatile players in the NHL, Tim can play all three forward positions. He is also a tremendous checker, and can be assigned to shadow the opposition's top scorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1973
Hardworking RW who is considered one of the brightest prospects in the NHL even though he's never cracked the 20-goal barrier... handy guy to have around because he can play center and left wing as well as right and he can kill penalties as well...a good checking forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1974
strong skater who patrols the right wing effectively and delivers jarring checks... valuable guy because he knows how to check high-scoring left wings and is an expert penalty killer...

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote