View Single Post
Old
01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's fun when people with no idea what they're talking about act like they do.
Especially when the OP decides what is and isn't true. My POV:

Carter is having the year from hell. I think everyone can attest to that.

Richards is having a good year. If you think it's all about stats with him, you aren't really getting hockey. They play a VERY defensive style of hockey, so while he's not going to be putting up Giroux-like numbers, he's also going to be a hell of a lot better defensively. It says a lot when the Flyers' best defensive forwards are rookies.

Voracek is a very solid player but isn't putting up a ton of points. I don't see a lot of finish with him but I like his defense.

Simmonds is very effective when he's in front of the net.

Couturier...what were the other GMs thinking? They look like a bunch of idiots for letting him drop, he should have been a top 3 pick.

Schenn, looks pretty good but it's still too early to tell. I don't think he's nearly as good as Couturier.

The bottom line is LA fans are thrilled with Richards while a few miss Simmonds. Flyer fans are all over the map when it comes to both Richards and Carter, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Who cares? Stats don't tell the whole story. Styles of play figure into so much and the Flyers' offensive style is completely opposite of the Kings' defensive first mindset. Columbus simply sucks so it doesn't matter what style they have, they're almost an AHL team.

If Couturier hadn't fallen so far down in the draft, things would look quite different. That wasn't Holmgren being skilled, that was 6 GMs being stupid.

In the grand scheme of things, Richards and Carter would have kept the Flyers in "win now" mode. Bryz likely wouldn't be as bad as he is because they are defensively responsible, something that Jagr isn't bringing to Giroux's line and Briere is being Briere. In a few years, maybe the Flyers will have stronger team defense since Couturier, Schenn and Read will be counted on heavily to play 200 feet, but right now the team is abysmal defensively and that's costing them.

Last edited by MsWoof: 01-15-2012 at 05:11 PM.